FAQ for Data Application

Do I have to fill in my e-mail address and telephone number? Do I require my supervisor's permission if I am a graduate student?

Yes, we need this information because our database does not function without it. If you do not fill in all the applicable spaces in the form, we cannot provide you with the data. With regard to students, we do require your supervisor's permission. By supervisor, we refer to any member of your academic staff whom you can contact on a regular basis. However, if any of our data use conditions or our agreement is violated, you AND your supervisor will be sent a warning.

Do all the research members have to submit applications ?

Yes. Anyone who is planning to analyze data is required to submit application. If you plan to write or present papers with your colleagues, all the members of your research project have to submit applications by themselves.

I am an oversea applicant. I cannot obtain any Japanese stamp.

If yours is an overseas application, instead of the stamped envelope, please enclose several International Reply Coupons (IRCs), which will be issued by the Universal Postal Union. The IRCs can be purchased at a post office. If you cannot purchase IRCs in your country, please contact SSJDA.

Zone 1

Asia, Guam, Marshall Is.,
Midway snd others

Zone 2

North America, Central America,
Oceania, Middle East, Europe

Zone 3

Africa, South America

Air mail
3 IRCs
Surface mail
2 IRCs

I am a part-time lecturer at a college. Can I use the data in SSJDA?

Yes, you can have access to our datasets.

FAQ for Data Analysis

While I was conducting my analysis, I wanted to share my data with another colleague. This was not planned when I applied for permission to use these data. Can I share the data with my colleague?

No, you cannot share the data. Please read the first article of the "Agreement." Your colleague need to submit a new application by herself/himself.

What process do I follow in case I have moved to another institute or university and my telephone number, and e-mail address have changed?

Please inform us of any changes immediately by changing the user information from User Page of SSJDA Direct. (Please read the forth article of the "Agreement.")

If I find mistakes in or have certain doubts about data, can I question the depositor?

Please read through the second article of the "Agreement.". If you have any questions, please contact us and not the depositors. You are prohibited from directly asking the depositors questions because answering questions is not one of the conditions stipulated for the depositors. We acquire datasets from depositors by virtue of their kindness. If every user questions the depositors directly, it may interfere with the work being conducted by the depositors. In order to avoid such issues, all your queries will be answered by SSJDA.

How do I provide acknowledgements in my article?

Always provide acknowledgements in your article. Please read through the third article of the "Agreement". In your acknowledgements, you have to mention the name of surveys, and both the depositor's official name and the "Social Science Japan Data Archive, Center for Social Research and Data Archives, Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo". Please mention the official name. We do not permit the abbreviation.

Are my coauthors required to apply for datasets even when they do not use the datasets at all?

When your coauthors do not use the datasets at all, please specify who applied for, recieved, analysed and managed the datasets, in addition to acknowledgements in your article. If you have any question, please contact SSJDA.
The name of the data user applied for The name of the data, and recieved, analysed and managed it. Other coauthors do not use the datasets at all and The name of the data user is responsible about the data usage.


FAQ for Data Usage Reports

I have published two articles. Do I need to submit only one of these?

No, you are required to submit both the articles because we will send your results to the depositor. Every time you publish a paper, you have to submit Output Report and send a copy.

I have published an article with a colleague who also applied to SSJDA separatedly. Is it permissible for either one of us to submit the Data Use Report?

No, each user has to submit the Data Use Report and Data Output Report. However, with regard to the copies of published papers or books, you have only required to submit the stipulated number.

I cannot finish my study in a year, but would like to continue to use the data. Can I extend the time limit?

Please submit the Data Use Report and the extension of the data use period.

Page Top